It’s important to have this decision right, because in the event that you don’t use the SAT/ACT essay now then again later opt to connect with universities that need it, you simply can’t use the SAT/ACT essay area by itself—you will have to retake the complete test. Moreover, some universities will elect to not ever add non-essay SAT/ACT administrations inside their “super rating” calculation of one’s tests.
Making your choice, the bottom line is
Use the essay if some of the after are true:
1. There is certainly a possibility that is reasonable you certainly will choose to affect universities that want the SAT/ACT essay, OR
2. There was a reasonable possibility that you are going to connect with “reach” or “match” colleges that suggest the essay, OR
Much like a lot of choices into the testing/college admissions procedure, choosing whether or not to make the SAT/ACT essay depends on the university list.
-Check out this post for basic help with beginning your university list.
-When you are prepared to talk more info on your college list, subscribe to North to My Future, your free college admissions session that is strategy.
-Finally, as you prepare for expert help with finalizing your university list, always check our premium college admissions out consulting programs.
3. You have got already done fairly well (scores of 14+ out of 24 in the SAT or 7+ out of 12 in the ACT) 1 on a training SAT/ACT essay. How come we state this? If you’re currently fairly adept (or better) in the SAT/ACT essay, it is reasonably simple to boost your rating through the SAT/ACT prep you are currently intending to do. Our SAT/ACT Prep Class include essay prep at no extra cost (for SAT/ACT Individual Prep programs, you’ve got the choice to include 1 hour of essay instruction), and essay prep takes a time investment that is minimal. For instance, inside our ACT Prep Class, we invest about 1.5 hours of course time since the essay, and during the last one year, students whom took the essay enhanced their essay score the average of 1.8 points (from the 2-12 scale).
Because enhancing your essay rating is fairly simple then take the essay to showcase your skills for colleges that fall in the “essay recommend” camp if you are already proficient in writing, you may as well briefly prepare for and.
Want to check always your essay skills? Our free practice SAT and ACT tests include an essay rating and rubric.
Think about skipping the essay if most of the after are real:
1. You realize with reasonable certainty you will never be deciding on a universities that need the essay that is SAT/ACT AND
2. You scored unhealthy (under 14 out of 24 regarding the SAT or under 7 away from 12 from the ACT) for a practice SAT/ACT essay, showing it might be harder to boost your rating right into a range that is competitive. (Note: we recommend completing essay prep anyway to see where your score falls by Practice Test if you are taking the SAT/ACT Prep Class, where essay prep is included in the class 2.)
Advantages of Taking the Essay
-The essay is a way to show proficiency written down. It is a simple way to offer your admissions profile a good start (albeit a little one), particularly when you’re currently proficient at writing, or you desire to display your skills on paper to greatly help make up for reduced grades in English classes.
-Compared into the remaining portion of the SAT/ACT, finding your way through the essay often calls for just a time that is small to attain significant enhancement (see just what we composed above).
-If you are taking the essay and attain a reasonable rating, you will not need to worry about the essay requirement/recommendation as you finalize your university list.
Downsides of Taking the Essay
-Taking the essay will need an extra 40-50 moments of energy on test time, plus, in the event that you prep with Frontier Tutoring, a few hours of specialized preparation time. Registering for the SAT/ACT that is official essay costs an additional $14 – $17.
Day-It’s theoretically possible that you could perform very poorly on the essay on test. Nevertheless, presuming you prepare in advance, this result is unlikely—generally, you really need to expect to rating in the same range as your newest training test indicates. Furthermore, it is often recognized that the essay has questionable predictive legitimacy, therefore scoring somewhat below your target rating from the essay is not likely to be materially harmful for admissions purposes. Fundamentally, you have got more to get than you must lose by finding your way through and using the essay.
Main Point Here
If there’s a reasonable chance you’ll be applying to universities that want or suggest the SAT/ACT essay, go right ahead and go. Like the majority of items that need to do with university admissions, this means the kick off point for this choice is developing a preliminary college list—it’s as easy and also as complicated as that. The good thing is that individuals have a great amount of resources to assist you on your own journey. Below is a directory of the resources we now have talked about in this article to truly get you started. As constantly, please go ahead and e mail us with questions regarding your own personal situation.
North to My Future (free college admissions session that is strategy
The Frontier 49 (GPA and SAT/ACT norms for admitted candidates at 49 popular colleges)
Colleges That Need the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present at the time of September 6, 2018; verify all universities on the list before you make your final decision
Soka University of America
U.S. Military Academy (West Point)
University of California (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, Hillcrest, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz)
University of Delaware
University of Miami
Colleges That Suggest the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present at the time of 6, 2018; verify all colleges on your list before making your decision september
Abilene Christian University
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
SUNY Stony Brook
1 they are the approximate nationwide average ratings when it comes to SAT/ACT essay parts. Supply: CollegeBoard and ACT, Inc. 2017 National Reports. Whilst it is perhaps perhaps not straightforward to ascertain essay that is median for admitted pupils (in comparison to determining median paper writer overall SAT/ACT scores for admitted pupils), particular schools (including the University of Ca system) do get this to information public. We do not recommend investing significant amount of time in calculating a defined target rating for the essay it self; the greater significant decision is whether or perhaps not or otherwise not to go on it, and then preparing sufficiently to achieve a respectable score if you are taking it.